Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Through the Rockies and into the Valley

well, i made it over the rockies. i woke up sunday morning to grey skies and the radio saying that the road over the mountains was closed. i decided to drive up and give it a shot anyway. so when i got to the park entrance, the nice park ranger woman told me that the pass was open. sooooooooooo.. everything worked out. i had my nice drive up to the top, singing hymns and enjoying the scenery on the sunday morning. God definately provided me with an awesome gift that morning. i really didn't want to have to drive around the park after waiting 2 days to go through. it started getting foggy at the top and i was going about 25 mph most of the way. it wasn't the most scenic day for the drive, so i kinda just kept more through.
i stopped at a couple towns along the way out of the mountains, but since it was raining, i just kinda kept moving south towards NM.
once i got out of the mountains, the weather was still sporadic, but it got really beautiful. i drove down this road through wound between the mountains and had some incredible views. once i started getting into southern colorado, i drove into the middle of a plain that runs down between the mountains. i was seriously on the flattest straightest road i've seen in sooooooooooo long. it would rain , then the sun would come out, then it would rain..... but it was beautiful driving down there and seeing the sun shine on the mountains while i was getting rained on.
i stopped to buy gas at this place called Loaf n Jug, which has the same logo as Turkey Hill now does. I was shocked, but i guess it's some national market chain.I arrived in Albuquerque, New Mexico to a warm welcome from my old bud Rus and his roommates. They put me up for 2 nights, showed me around the town and just made me feel at home. Cooper is also about the sweetest pitbull that i know.last night rus, luke and i went up to the mountain outlook over Albuquerque and just took in an incredible view.
it's definately a place to get to if you have a chance.we stopped at Burger Boy on our way back into town. I'm not one to exagerate, but i seriously need to say that they Green Chili Cheese Burger was about the best I have ever had in my life. that's sayin alot folks. I'm leaving in a couple minutes to head down to Tucson, Arizona to visit Jon and hang out there before heading to Grand Canyon.

OH, this needs to be mentioned. this was in Grand Lake, Colorado, just outside of the national park. i have never seen an "anti-dumpster diving" sign before, but here it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the glamor shots of your car with various backgrounds. She feels more included that way. I'm still looking for a car with character and good gas mileage.... Call me sometime and i will overcome my phone phobia for you.