Sunday, March 26, 2006

Homer Francis Luckenbill Jr.

I've been crying alot the last 10 hours. I came home from church and read an email from my brother about how my grandpa is doing. He's in the hospital and they've decided that the numerous problems that he has can't be operated on. Tommorrow afternoon at 3pm they'll be putting a valve to drain the buildup in his stomach that's been blocked from entering his intestines.
So he'll be able to drink liquids if he wants, but will be getting no nutrients. That means he'll start to fade.
I'm dealing with it. I've known that his health hasn't been good, but i somehow expected that he'd be around when i get back in july. Now i'm sure he won't be. It's been a year since i've seen him.
I talked to my parents and then called his hospital room. My bro Tom has been holdin down the fort in the hospital for us brothers. Many thanks to him for that. He was there and i was able to talk to grandpa. just a couple sentences. it hurts for him to talk.
i had a nice time talking to tom and then my grandma and uncle keith came, so i got to talk to them.
then with grandpa once again. i just wanted to get to tell him again that i love him and miss him.
he loves speaking his PA dutch. he said:

"ich lieb dich" (i love you)
"wir werden uns wieder sehen" (we'll see eachother again)

then he sang

"oh wie lieblich, wie lieblich, wie lieblich ist Jesus..
er ist mein erlöser.........."

and i finished with
".......mein herr und mein freund."

(oh how lovely, how lovely,lovely is Jesus.
He is my redeemer, my lord and my friend)

Now it's a matter of time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ich bete für dich und deine familie!

Anonymous said...

man, you seem to be losing grandparents left and right. sorry, to hear. i'll be thinking of you....i can't imagine how it feels to lose someone you're close to. hugs...

k*