Saturday, February 11, 2006

Called to be how much of a blessing?


I'm definately behind in my blogging. I've experienced things and have wanted to write them down and reflect for quite some time now.
Working with refugees has definately changed me. I'm still a really nice guy and all, but having responsibility or authority makes you ask questions and give answers that you might wouldn't have faced otherwise.
I'm the only fulltime person at the immigration counselling office, meaning that I'm kinda in charge. I don't necessarily like that. I'm responsible for how money is spent, decisions are made and also for the relationship to government, our church, other organisations and our organisation in general.
It's been a rough road for me learning when to say no or taking a stand for what i think on an issue. This is definately only in relation to work.
I've determined that life gets more complicated as you get older. You agree? Good. I'm right. I wouldn't have thought 10 years ago that I would be having to make decisions like I do now. I wouldn't have wanted to. Don't get me wrong. I don't have alot of money and don't have lots of say or power in the world. But the emphasis that I put on each decision is crazy. I want everyone to be happy and don't want others to disagree or be uncomfortable.
Right. It'll never happen. I know that. But I'm still a wimp when it comes to telling others that they've crossed their boundary and that their actions have to end.
Whether this means that someone can't call their country to talk to someone, to get money for a train ticket, to use the rooms from our organisation, or to determine my actions in a certain issue.
I love serving others and trying to make them happy. BUT I've come to the point where I see that it's neither good for them, nor for me if I do what they ask. The situation becomes unhealthy.
I tend to be a realist. Or maybe I just mean that I doubt what people often say or plan. I've learned that this is not negative, but a reality check that I should learn to listen to. Accept your own advice.
I'm not answering the question that I posed, but I don't care. These are things that roll around in my mind and bug me. I learned my whole life to serve others and do what's best for them. No. I wanted that. I would decide not to voice my opinion, rather than to offend others. If it was for fun, that's ok, but I would duck out of a real decision.
Oh there's a lot more in my mind on this. I'm writing a book and can't stop. It'll come up again later with another picture so that it looks like a new topic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey jared,
den satz kenn ich aus meinem leben nur zu gut! manchmal (jetzt kommt ein hartes wort, ich weiß) hasse ich mich dafür:
"I learned my whole life to serve others and do what's best for them."
gesund "ich" sagen möchte ich lernen...