Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Allergic to....... America?

Growing up in pennsylvania, my allergies usually got really bad twice a year. i'd have several completely miserable days where i'd be sneezing all day long, blowing my nose, wiping snot all over the place,.... you get the picture. it just drains your energy and frustrates you. i'd get the good meds to help me make it through the day.Then i moved to germany. my allergies barely bothered me at all in germany in the 3 and a half years that i was there. i might have had slight sniffles one day, but not even enough to take medication or really be bothered by them. i thought about it and enjoyed the notion of not being tortured twice a year.

.....now i'm back in the US. we're in that spring/summer phase thing with stuff blooming/blossoming and lots of pollen in the air. i don't know what it is, but there's SOMETHING in america that i'm allergic to.

Work today was unbearable. i somehow felt that it would be a rough day, so i took a handkerchief along in my back pocket. i was constantly pulling it out to blow my nose or sneezing all over the place. it was soaked before lunch and i was miserable, wondering if i could go home early because of allergies. i pushed on through the day, wishing it would all be over and wondering what i could get some medication.

Long story short, i called my mom and found out that she had some hidden at home. i'm happy to say that i made it through bible study this evening without snorting loudly, sneezing, or hocking up snot.

i wish i knew exactly what it is that i'm reacting to. or could it just be america?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAAAATSCHIE!!!
God bless you, Mr.Hankie and
God bless America.

David Troyer said...

I had terrible allergies as a child, but slowly digressed to the point where when I went to Germany I also noticed that I did not struggle with them at all. Since being back, I seldom have any struggles... even when my car is yellow with pollen.

Anonymous said...

it's probably just some American plant strains that you're allergic to. so, yes, in escense(sp?), you're allergic to America. make it's God's way of telling you to move back to Deuschland? :o)
good luck with those allergies, i don't relate.

Anonymous said...

i never had any probs in VA/PA/IN/MO. however, in tucson AZ? yup, sneeze a lot.